Saturday, January 14, 2006

Westminster Abbey


This is likely the best known, least attended church in the world. The congregation is so small that the staff has begun to charge 8 pounds ($13, roughly) for tours just to keep the place up. England is a country rich in theological tradition, but, currently, it is spiritually vacuous. Which only confirms a thought I've been having lately: I don't mind if you're not religious. Naturally, I want you to be religious, but I certainly can't force it. What I can barely stand, though, is people who are religious, but only half-heartedly so. I would rather someone declare, openly and fervently, that they are proudly irreligious, rather than claim some empty, contentless form of spirituality. If you don't believe that Jesus is God, that God is triune, that Jesus is redeeming the world, (etc.) you can't possibly be Christian. And there's no need masquerading about with illusions to the contrary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

Gee, somebody's in a snit. ;0)

I take my irreligion very seriously, I feel I should say.

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home